Monday, August 12, 2013

First day of clear coat

Referring back to the previous entry, the following day I shot two coats of clear.  Here I am using SPI's Universal Clear, which is beauty in a can and translates very nicely to your body panel.

I will not be cutting and buffing the undersides of the hood and trunk, or the door jambs, so it was important to get the gun adjustments as good as I could so as not to get any orange peel.

Now here's an important tip: don't just set your gun and then immediately start hosing down your panel, only to finish it and be dismayed at all the dry spray or orange peel you have.  Take an obscure section of the panel and just spray a foot swath, then stop and stand back for several minutes.  Watch how it flows out.  A lot of things look real peely at first, and you come back in an hour and it's flowed out and is smooth as glass.  I can swear the clear is going on too dry or peely and I'm not happy, but I come back the next day and it's like a sheet of Saran wrap laying over the entire panel, smooth as glass and  beautiful.

Anyways...if you're happy with it, hose it on.  If not, adjust gun more, and spray another foot section.  If you're getting a lot of peel, start by screwing your fluid tip in to REDUCE the amount of fluid transferred to the panel.  Do a quarter turn at a time.  If you need more, screw it in more, and up the pressure by about 2 psi.  I start at 2 3/4 turns out, with pressure at 28 for the clear, fan set at 80-90%, and I adjust all three accordingly  until I have a consistent pattern.  But enough of this nonsense; I say it like I'm some pro.  I'm not; I've just been through the learning pains.

On to the progress:

The hood under structure after 2 coats of clear.  It came out 90% peel free.

This is a close up of the hood.

Door edges cleared.

Fender jambs done...though this pic just looks like base without the clear.

Trunk under structure cleared.

Even fender and door bolts get base and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment