I wish I had a 'before' picture, but the driveshaft was crusty, crusty black. I started by taking my scraper and scraped all the junk off it. After this I took to it with brake cleaner which took everything off right down to the rusty metal.
|On my rolling shop table, I made a convenient driveshaft workstation by resting it on jackstands.|
|After it had been cleaned with brake cleaner, I started sanding the rust off with a DA which quickly brought the metal back to looking brand new.|
|The driveshaft is completely sanded, looking brand new. Next I treated it with several coats of zinc phosphate to protect against corrosion and condition the metal.|
|...then remeasured out the stripes and taped them off.|
|All the stripes are taped off.|